This session will introduce the new Search API module for Drupal 7 which addresses several major shortcomings of the core search module, offering much greater flexibility and several additional features out-of-the-box.
Features of the Search API include:
- Indexing any kind of entity, not just nodes.
- Choosing exactly which properties are indexed, and how — including properties of related entities, like a node's author's user roles, and computed properties, like a node's comment count.
- Flexible definition of the indexing and searching workflow with pre- and post-processors and data alterations.
- Easy switching between backends, be it the database, Solr, Xapian or any other.
- Integrated support for executing complex searches and displaying results with Views.
- Support for faceted searches (unless the backend doesn't support this).
- Support for searching different entity types at once (e.g. nodes, comments, user profiles, …).
The session will consist of the following subtopics:
- A display of the module's main features.
- Planned future development.
- A developer's view: How the API can be used and extended by other modules.